Scientist (m/f/d) - Mechanical & Application Testing

About the role

Location: Innovation Headquarter in Linz, Austria

Hours: Full-Time

Type of Contract: Permanent


A valued colleague took the chance to advance his career within Borealis and we therefore now look for his succession to join our Advanced Polymer Characterization group in the area of Mechanical & Application Testing.


You will:

  • Translate business and R&D needs into novel “state of the art” methods for mechanical and application testing of polyolefins
  • Design, decide on and lead implementation of new test methods and hand over to the testing labs for standard use
  • Ensure and maintain high scientific level and sustainable advanced and differentiated industry standards of test methods
  • Actively consult and support R&D labs, QC labs, plants and external customers
  • Build-up and maintain internal and external networks with industry leaders and leading universities
  • Define scientific competency needs and identify training and development needs for the team 
  • Support our intellectual property rights protection and support in defining our patents

About you

  • PhD in Polymer Science, Materials Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Physics or Polymer Processing
  • Experienced in Mechanical Characterisation & Application Testing of Polyolefins
  • Knowledge of tensile, impact, flexural, creep testing and fracture mechanics
  • Solid knowledge of IT, data analysis and statistics


We know that good team work and an open, diverse and collaborative environment that allows us to be creative will lead to success. If this is the kind of culture that you prefer as well, let’s talk.

About Borealis and our offer


We are here for you! If you have any questions, please contact Renate Ewinger, Please note that applications via e-mail will not be accepted since we are serious about protection of your personal data, so thank you for applying online.


Following Austrian law regulations, we offer, reflecting your experiences, skills and competencies, competitive compensation based on the collective labour agreement chemical industry starting at EUR 60.212,18 annual gross salary (based on 38 hrs/week) and are willing to pay more based on your experience and background. In addition, we offer a yearly bonus and a voluntary company pension plan.


We reserve the right to close this vacancy for further applications when we have received sufficient applications that meet the advertised requirements and will contact you as soon as screening is closed.


Borealis is one of the world’s leading providers of advanced and sustainable polyolefin solutions. In Europe, Borealis is also an innovative leader in polyolefins recycling and a major producer of base chemicals. We leverage our polymer expertise and decades of experience to offer value-adding, innovative and circular material solutions for key industries such as consumer products, energy, healthcare, infrastructure and mobility. With operations in over 120 countries and head offices in Vienna, Austria, Borealis employs around 6,000 people. In 2022, we generated a net profit of EUR 2.1 billion. OMV, the Austria-based international oil and gas company, owns 75% of our shares. The Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC), based in the United Arab Emirates (UAE), owns the remaining 25%. In re-inventing essentials for sustainable living, we build on our commitment to safety, our people, innovation and technology, and performance excellence. We are accelerating the transformation to a circular economy of polyolefins and expanding our geographical footprint to better serve our customers around the globe. Our operations are augmented by two important joint ventures: Borouge (with ADNOC, headquartered in the UAE); and Baystar™ (with TotalEnergies, based in the US). | | 


We go beyond boundaries. Together.




Borealis only accepts candidate resumes from recruiters or recruiting agencies if they have been explicitly commissioned by Borealis for a specific recruitment and if the data is provided to us in line with the General Data Protection Regulation. Borealis will not accept or pay fees for candidate resumes of any form or kind that were sent unsolicited to either HR or directly to our hiring managers.

Curious about other opportunities?

Our global Talent Acquisition Team

Curious about the different steps to become our colleague?